The Arms of Drogheda
The device, mounted on a blue shield, shows a crenelled gate, with battlements and loopholes, of two towers, surmounted by red pennants (tapering flags, with a lowered portcullis at the gate’s entrance gate signifying the security of the walled town. On the right side of the gate, a ship appears to sail, having St George’s ensign displayed on the stern. This represents the trade which the town supported from earliest times. To the left of the gate is the three lions of England, and the commerce and trade of Drogheda, and its premier importance, is exemplified in its motto; ‘Deus Praesidium Mercatura Decus’ - ‘God Our Strength, Merchandise Our Glory’.
The Crest, on the wreath on top of the Arms is the unusual one of the ‘Star and Crescent’, taken from the arms of King John who presented Drogheda with its first charter in 1210. The star is an eight pointed star between the two ends of a crescent moon. They also appear in this fashion on all the triangular coins of John struck in this country, and also appear in sculpture over the thrones in St Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin, which were erected during his Lordship of Ireland. The crest has nothing to do with the mistaken belief that it was adopted by the townspeople from the Turkish flag.
Coat Of Arms: Drogheda (Ireland)
Drogheda is an industrial and port town in County Louth on the east coast of Ireland, 56 km (35 mi) north of Dublin. It is the last bridging point on the River Boyne before it enters the Irish Sea.
As the River Boyne divides the dioceses of Armagh and Meath, Drogheda was founded as two separate towns, Drogheda-in-Meath (for which a charter was granted in 1194) and Drogheda-in-Oriel (or 'Uriel') as County Louth was then known.
In 1412 these two towns were united and Drogheda became a 'County Corporate', styled as 'the County of the Town of Drogheda'. Drogheda continued as a County Borough until the setting up of County Councils, through the enactment of the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898, which saw all of Drogheda, including a large area south of the Boyne, become part of an extended County Louth.
With the passing of the County of Louth and Borough of Drogheda (Boundaries) Provisional Order, 1976, County Louth again grew larger at the expense of County Meath. The boundary was further altered in 1994 by the Local Government (Boundaries) (Town Elections) Regulations 1994. The 2007-2013 Meath County Development Plan recognises the Meath environs of Drogheda as a primary growth centre on a par with Navan.
In recent years Drogheda's economy has diversified from its traditional industries, with an increasing number of people employed in the retail, services and technology sectors. The town also has a community of independent artists and musicians who have been looking to the local economy rather than Dublin for employment.